The three words for today are cupidity, billet-doux and quietus
Cupidity is a noun that means eager or excessive desire, esp. to possess something; greed; avarice.
Billet-doux is a noun that means a love letter or note.
Quietus is a noun that means:
1. a finishing stroke; anything that effectually ends or settles.
2. discharge or release from life.
3. a period of retirement or inactivity.
~~~~~
When I awoke this morning, beside my love, I thought about our courtship, and the cupidity for this woman that grabbed me unaware and unbidden, and effectively put a quietus to the plans I had at the time to abstain from personal relationships. On our very first Valentine’s Day, many years ago, we would have been together, as a couple, for about three months. I remember that special day as a time of great anticipation, expensive presents, long-winded, heartfelt billets-doux, and passionate embraces. Slowly, over the years, the celebration of this special holiday has changed for us from lavish expressions and excesses to favorite food dinners cooked at home, a glass or two of sweet red wine, and enjoying time spent in each others company, blissfully alone. Fervent ardor has given way to homey comfort, and fresh newness has been replaced with intimate familiarity, but the feeling that she has always been and will always be there, with me and for me, and I for her, has not changed. I have been blessed to love and be loved inexplicably and unflinchingly, without hesitation or demands, and I am grateful for every day, but especially this day, together with her, my Valentine.
~~~~
No comments:
Post a Comment