The Motive: Practice writing and improve vocabulary.
The Plan: Use the word of the day from Dictionary.com and incorporate it into six sentences on any subject.
...................................................................................................

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Vivify, Inexorable and Hypnagogic

The words for the past 3 days are: vivify, inexorable and hypnagogic

Vivify is a verb which means
1. to give life to; animate; quicken;
2. to enliven, brighten, sharpen.

Inexorable is an adjective that means
1. unyielding; unalterable;
2. not to be persuaded, moved or affected by prayers or entreaties.

Hypnagogic is an adjective that means
1. of or pertaining to drowsiness;
2. inducing drowsiness.

~~~~~

Occasionally, right before I fall asleep, as my mind releases into a hynagogic trance, I am overwhelmed with shadowy, shapeless anxieties about future potential, unknown catastrophes. I feel an inexorable sadness that eventually one or more of these tragedies will certainly occur to me or my family in the future and I think a lot of it has to do with all of the dishearteningly bad news that I listen to on the radio and read in the paper. When I feel myself falling into these depressions I try to vivify my bleak outlook with plans of future travel and vacations, how I will visit various friends and relatives, eat lots of good food, and tour different, interesting locations. Often, the redirection trick works, although occasionally I slip back towards the more distressing thoughts before I eventually fall asleep, but usually, by the time I wake up in the morning I feel better. It is as if my mind repairs itself by organizing and considering all of these thoughts and ultimately returns to optimistic mode. I don’t know if that is normal and everyone’s brain analyzes the future in this way, but I am glad that mine refuses to abnegate an overall conviction that regardless of the bad, there are still good times ahead.

~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment